Ahh poetry, it’s that thing we all learned in grade three that was terribly boring and felt like something one did in a stuffy library with their grandparents. Those were my thoughts on poetry in my elementary years. As you can tell, I cared for it very little.
I feel like it was something I begrudgingly wanted to be good at, but simply never was.
Recently, though, I actually really got into it. After reading a couple books in verse and watching Amanda Gorman’s U.S. inauguration poem (it’s amazing), I really buckled down and gave it a try. Now, this posts will be full of tips about poetry, but as I’m not very good, I surfed the internet to find the best tips. Yes, the waves were fantastic.
- Experiment with different types of poetry, for instance poetry sonnets, or haikus. You might find one that you really love!
- Keep a journal of all your ideas and inspiring things you see. This is always something I’ve wanted to do, so I might give it a try.
- Start a writing group! This always helps with getting ideas and feedback. It also just makes it more fun.
- Try to have an idea of where your poem is going. I’m horrible at this sooo…
- Read poetry of different types! Always a fun way to get ideas.
- Don’t stress over your first line, you can always go back and change it. I feel like this happens with so many different types of creative writing, and it’s extremely annoying when you know exactly where this chapter’s going but you can’t think of a perfect opening line! Aaah!
- Write with honesty. Express how you feel about the world.
- Don’t be afraid to write trashy poetry.
- Start a blog to publish it! Let me know if you do (or already have one!) so I can follow it.
- Memorize other people’s poetry.
- Tell a story with your poetry. If you generally write fiction, this one might be for you!
Hope these tips help! Feel free to share your poetry or writing with me, I would love to read them.
Now for the announcements (I actually have two!)
The first one, which is not big at all, is that I have a storygraph account! If you do too, add me as a friend I will friend you back (if your username is the same as your blog, if it’s not just let me know).
The second is very big. I have a new blog!! I’m running The Society To Stop Climate Change with one of my best friends. Climate Change is a serious problem, and we have challenges, information, cool posts and more! Do check that out!